ICANN approves new top level domains

  • From: Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 100 00:12:54 -0500 (EST)

"ICANN (Internet Cooperation for Assigned Names and Numbers) voted to add
an unspecified number of TLD to the current seven."

I don't really like this. While it is probably a good idea to expand the
TLDs, I don't like the deviation from the "standard". I expect to see either
a 3 letter TLD or a 2 letter country code in my URLs, not something like
".union" or ".museum" (both of which were proposed). Also, creating a domain
like .sex could stir up a whole hornets nest of 1st ammendment issues should
somebody try to make it into virtual red-light district. (ie: banning prono
sites from .com et all)

Anyone else care to comment?

BTW, what's #7? (.com .net .edu .org .mil & .gov was all I could think of)

--
Steven Hunter  | hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Hyrdoplanning towards infinity... Just some drag-queens and, me." - Olly