Re: ICANN approves new TLD...

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:45:20 -0500

Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >   And .sex and .xxx is not just a good idea for porn sites.  Given this
> > countries puriten march to ban all web sites, wouldn't it make banning porn
> > sites that much easier if they all ended in .sex or .xxx?  No need to filter
> > on content, just TLD, and it's not like the porn industry would even
> > mind -- they want their .sex or .xxx TLD, I say give it to 'em.
> Yes, it would be easier. In fact, you would probably be able to get laws
> passed
> to require all porno sites be in the .xxx or .sex (or both) TLD(s). But do we
> want to do that? Wouldn't that just be begging for governmental censorship?

  I doubt that laws would be passed to require porno sites to adopt specific
TLDs, but it would be possible for the registrar to regulate the TLDs to the
point that porno sites only have .sex and .xxx available to them.
Personally I see nothing wrong with that, as TLDs are supposed to be
indicative of the type of web site you're operating.  There shouldn't be's for instance, unless of course, JohnSmith was some sort of
commerical entity, and not just some guy named John Smith.

  As far as filtering and censorship goes, that's entirely something else.
There will be filtering, there is no question about that.  Individuals will
have the right to filter in their misguided attempts to protect their
children, and new TLDs might enable real filtering for the first time.
Governmently decreed censorship is another thing entirely and we're likely
to lose that war w/ or w/o new TLDs.  Personally I feel that when (not if)
we lose that war, I'd opt for a more perfect filter instead of the
politically biased ones we have now.

  It's hard to defend porn when nothing is really being said.  The
constitution and bill of rights doesn't dwell much on right to see naked
flesh.  The only reason I think that the puritans don't win the censorship
war against porn is that if there is anything in this country that would
cause the masses to rise up in revolt, it would be cutting off their supply
of naughty pictures and movies. ;) You also can't keep the people asleep to
the truth if they're not entertained enough.

                                                                - Steve