I guarantee this would never work for me.

  • From: "Troy V. Barkmeier" <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Technocracy" <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:12:11 -0500

When are these biometrics people going to get over themselves? I am so
sick of hearing about how retina scans, thumbprint recognition, and other
crap is going to make users' data more safe. How about keeping users
safe? If you have access to some really sensitive data, and Sammy the
Bull has you backed in a corner with Glock and a penknife so that he can
get what he needs to beat your retina scan, is that "safe"? Until they
can prove that these systems won't recognize dead tissue, I'd rather not
use parts of my body as passwords. If that all sounds a bit too James
Bond, think about something as simple as ATMs using thumbprint
recognition. If somebody mugged me, I'd feel much better knowing that all
he was after was my card - hell, I'd even give him the PIN. :)

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-2066437.html

Granted, like voice recognition, this one does require a living user.
That makes it better than thumbprints, etc., but then you have the same
issues as with voice recognition, namely user variance. If you catch a
nasty cold or break your finger, I guess you just don't get to listen to
your MP3s for awhile.

TVB

Observation attributed to Prof. Robert Wilensky of the University of
California at Berkeley:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
Internet, we know this is not true."