FTC requests comments on UCITA et all

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, computertalkshop-list@xxxxxxxxx, technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:22:59 -0500

For those of you who don't read Slashdot (and others):

The FTC is requesting comments/academic papers from the public regarding the
stipulations of the UCITA and apparently a few other laws.  For more
information on how to submit and what sorts of things being discussed, please
see:

http://technocrat.net/962134769/

This is something we CAN'T allow to slip through legislation.  The UCITA is an
abomination when it comes to consumer interest, and the results would be
damaging not only to buyers of shrink-wrapped software, but also to free
software developers (and users).  It's being heavily backed by such companies as
Microsoft and AOL, so gee, think about whose interests they have in mind.  More
information on the problems with the UCITA from Richard Stallman can be found
at:

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-02-06-001-05-NW-LF

and my own take on it all here:

http://avenir.dhs.org/archives/02-2000/msg00071.html

And no matter what, write letters/email to your state reps voicing your
opinion and reasoning on the issue.  I'm not sure which state is up next...

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org