Re: ESR at Rose

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:48:40 -0500

> > I just thought I'd update everyone.  I went to the symposium, but ESR
> > didn't.
> > What a bastard: "Uhm, yeah, this is Eric Raymond- I missed my flight.  I'll
> > still come if you buy me another ticket."  Rose's ACM had paid for him to
> > come
> > out, and only two members had paid their dues, so it was actually coming
> > straight from their pockets.  "buy me another ticket..."  What a
> > punk.
> Yow...that blows goats.  I'll tell him that the folks in Terretown were not
> pleased.

Well, cool, I guess. :)   I like, got out of bed before noon on a Saturday!

The rest of the "symposium" (audience members: less than 20 :( )  looked
pretty.. dull.. I left after the shocking, stunning, amazing, magnificent
presentation of using AI to determine what a chemical is.  Duh.  I wore my big
penguin tshirt, all ready for some OSS evangelism, but blegh.

I was going to email him my thoughts, but I didn't want to start any wars. :)
However, the jerk from Zdnet that wrote an article today saying
'open source has yet to produce any goods' got a lesson in manners. =)

# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web:
# LANdb: Network Admin Database -
# NCPweb: Web-based frontend to ncpfs -
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C. All the best things in life are Free!