Re: Dood, you're gettin' a Gateway..

  • From: Steven Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:32:04 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, M.K. Chatterji wrote:

> Hey I just heard from Jim Kinkade from ISU at lunch today that the
> ISU labs are going to Gateways because of an offer they couldn't
> refuse: 1.6GHz P4, 256M/40G, DVD, CDRW, (2 separate drives), 18.1"
> flat panel = $1200. He said the displays are worth about $800 alone.
> Wonder how long Gateway stays alive by giving stuff away. Troy, did
> you go back to Gateway? Where do you work/live now?

Not to rain on the parade, but why exactly do Lab computers need:

A CD-RW?
A DVD-ROM?
An 18.1" LCD?

It's a pretty good deal, but it's technology for technology's sake. As
soon as the first "WaR3Z d00dZ" start making copies of PhotoShop and
Mathmatica, the labs are going to have to restrict the CD-RW drives
anyways. And then there'll be the people watching DVD movies in the labs
while other people are just waiting to type thier term paper. So they'll
institute time limit policies or something stupid like that. And the
there's the LCDs... Well I guess I don't really have anything against
them. Only that they'll be expensive to replace if damaged...

My $.0314159

--
Steven Hunter  | hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"HEY! Check out these crescent fresh skulls in my salad!" - Sifl & Olly