RE: Don't panic.

  • From: "Troy V. Barkmeier" <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Technocracy" <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:56:53 -0500

John's right about NT4.x; however, 2000 seems to support it just fine. :)

Actually, my whole problem with monitors in the lab is exactly the same
as yours, Steve: if somebody turns them off, all hell breaks loose. There
was a time not too long ago when I'd get a ticket or two a week to go fix
a machine, and all that was wrong was that the monitor was turned off.
It's difficult for me to understand the mindset that won't try a power
button before assuming the worst. Anyway, I've been encouraging everyone
(lab consultants, tech-savvy faculty) to just always leave them on so the
techno-impaired won't freak out. I checked our Dell and Apple tech specs,
and the 17" Trinis take <8 watts when in power save, as compared to
around 110 watts when in use. Power emergency or not, the combined 4400
watts used by the 550 public lab computer monitors in power save mode
saves the University thousands of dollars they'd otherwise have to spend
on therapy for me. :)

TVB

>> "Troy V. Barkmeier" <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ranted:
>> > Damn it, damn it, DAMNNITT!!! It's taken me over three years of grueling
>> > debate to convince the majority of faculty in the public labs that the
>> > powersave mode on the monitors actually does work, therefore there is no
>> > reason for them to ever turn off the monitors. Now I'll have to start all
>> > over again. ;)
>>
>>   ? Geez, don't take it so hard.  Perhaps you could tell me how to enable
>> power saving mode under NT 4.0, service pack 4?  Maybe it's a BIOS thing.
>
>Ya, NT doesn't support it (right?), gotta use the BIOS calls.
>
>I think they did the same thing in X 4.x (falling back to relying on the
>bios),
>which right now is the one reason I haven't upgraded this machine from 3.3.6.
>
>John

Observation attributed to Prof. Robert Wilensky of the University of
California at Berkeley:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
Internet, we know this is not true."