Re: Dead List? cont.

  • From: "Troy V. Barkmeier" <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Technocracy <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:46:11 -0600

I was definitely concerned about the new iMacs until I went to the Mall
o' America Apple Store and saw one in the flesh. There is a substance to
them that doesn't translate well into a brochure or a web page pic. Like
Neil says, very heavy. Very smooth motion, much more like drafting
equipment than a desk lamp. The exact opposite of flimsy. As far as pure
aesthetics, the dome is not perhaps the sexiest shape, but what you don't
realize until you sit in front of one is that when you're using a new
iMac, the only thing you see is the screen -- it looks like it's floating
in midair in front of you, and you can't really see the neck or very much
of the base. Definitely addressed the concerns of those who bitched about
the case colors around the screen affecting their design work -- not only
did they ditch the colors, but they made the case itself effectively

My three major complaints:
a) I was never a big fan of the "snow" color scheme -- looks like a
frosted highball glass or a soft white lightbulb; I'd have preferred a
titanium look or totally clear plastics like the cinema displays;
b) they should have kept internal stereo speakers -- there's only an old-
school mono case speaker and the great-sounding-but-cable-clutter-
contributing Apple Pro Speakers;
c) the waiting list should be shorter.