Re: Balmer Sez... "Linux is Communism"

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:03:03 -0500

Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> While I don't agree with anything else he says, the open source model *is*
> pretty much communism...

  How, pray tell, is the idea of open source code related to a failed
socio-political / economic regime?

  Under communist China, your life is strictly controlled by the government.
An example would be having to ask the government for permission to live and
work in a different city, say in the event you want to live with your spouse
who works in another city. With free software, you can modify the code and
share it with anyone, anytime, anywhere.

  Freedom, is an anathema to communisim, but is at the very core of the free
software.  To say that free software is essentially communism is to greatly
misunderstand everything it's about and insult me and everyone else who
believes in it.

  If I had to relate everything to political systems, I would call
commerical software communistic, in that it serves only a very few while the
many whom use it are controlled by it.  I would call Free software
democratic, because you have the freedom to choose it, or not, and you are
free to make of it what you will.

                                                                - Steve