Re: A whole new meaning to putting tasks in the background...

  • From: "M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:32:11 -0500

It's pretty cool. I got my Mac OS X beta today too. A 5-year old could have installed it! I have the server version as well (Mac OS X Server), but this client version is truly meant to be BSD-Unix for mere mortals. Unix "engineers" will hate it I suspect, particularly Linux people I predict, because while it brings the power of *nix to people who don't know or don't have to know anything about computer science, well, it's not a shell-enabled (as such) Unix server. Clearly it will be light years ahead of Windows NT, Me, 9x, 2000, etc., but it will probably be a flop in the market because few vendors will take the time to develop the usual Microsoft-ish and other desktop apps for it.
-Chat

P.S. I also ordered Yellow Dog for an old 120Mhz PPC Mac we have around the house. There are some interesting comparisons they make between Intel and PPC platforms, both on cost and energy consumption per dollar: http://www.maclinux.com/why_ppc.shtml and
http://yellowdoglinux.com/

"Troy V. Barkmeier" <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 > >Finally! A real reason to have semi-translucent windows (ala Mac OS 10 et
 > >all)
 > P.S. I got my Mac OS X Public Beta CDs yesterday -- anybody that wants a
 > peek, let me know.

  I'm game.  I'm interested in seeing just how much they screwed around with
the unix side of things.  I hope it's not as bad as NeXTStep was.

- Steve