Re: A whole new meaning to putting tasks in the background...

  • From: Neil Doane <caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:37:09 -0700

* Steve Baker (ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) on [09-28-00 11:06] did utter:
> > But I see a
> > lot of continuing headaches for Linux mass appeal on Wintel hardware
> > -- particularly with that hardware continuing to evolve so fast. Like
> > yet another new video card standard every time we turn around..
>
>   There hasn't been a new standard for video cards since SVGA to my
> knowledge.  Video cards are well beyond standards now, basically anything
> goes these days.  X supports them all quite well, ham-strung only by a lack
> of vendor information on their cards.

X supports an UNGODLY amount of hardware these days.  Case in point: has
anyone _compiled_ the entire sourcetree for XFree86 lately?   I had to
compile from the 4.0.1 CVS tree the other day to support my spankin new
video card and _holy crap_ that's a big compile...like an hour on my PIII550!

As a side note, my new GeForce2 GTS 32MB 4x AGP card is so fast I'm starting
to age in reverse when I play QuakeIII now.  As I understand it, the X driver
(provided by NVidia) uses the DRI stuff with NVidia's kernel module and does
GL direct hardware renders.  Soldier of Fortune for Linux is smooth and
silky with the highest detail levels at 1152x864 on this puppy and
Descent3, QuakeIII, and HeavyGearII are really doing much to eliminate
my need to have a dual-boot Wintendo box at all.  BTW, Look for my review
of Soldier of Fortune in Linux Journal in this October (or maybe November)
issue. :)

Neil

       . /._ o /     --personal="caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
      /|//- / /     --business="caine@xxxxxxxxxxx"