[TechAssist] Re: variac

  • From: "Lawrence Tucker II" <kc4iai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 19:18:02 +0000

///  What you use to make a variac will depend on the ultimate use. Simple
control for a small soldering iron is a light dimmer switch. Bigger controls
are variable trasformer type devices with a wiper on the winding. This will
run about $25 surplus for one to control a TV or as little as $5 for a small
unit to control a low voltage test power supply, for instance. A used HO
Gauge train control works for low voltage. Power drill motor controllers are
in many publications.

Try web searches for Electrical Engineering and Circuits. There  are sites
at major universities that specalize in circuits. Some ham radio sites
feature circuits for odd ball uses. Try a forum on one of the ham radio
major sites. All the old ARRL publications are on CD ROM. Some one will have
a collection and can locate this for you.

If you want a really low power, low voltage variac there are adustable
voltage regulator circuits on those sites.