[TechAssist] Re: use a battery backup UPS for TV,DVD,surround amp system protection ?

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:53:58 -0400

The thing I would worry about the most is the waveform. A standard UPS will
have an output that approaches a square wave. A UPS with a sine wave output
is a much more sophisticated and expensive device. The peak voltage in the
power supply of the equipment being powered will be about 30% lower than
with the sine wave (for equal RMS voltage) so the equipment will draw more
current to compensate. This may not cause any problems but the equipment
should be tested under these circumstances to make sure.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609