[TechAssist] Re: (no subject)

  • From: jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:54:17 -0500

I think the key on most Compaq computers is the f10 function key, but there
is a bit of a problem.
Instead of the usual firmware setup routines, Compaq is different. They put
the setup routines in a partition on the hard drive. If someone reformatted
the drive, they might not have reinstalled the partition, and it will
ignore the f10 key. In this case you can go to compaq's site and download
the setup/diagnostic files, which will create two or three diskettes to
either run the setup from diskette, or install a diagnostic partition on
your hard drive.
You should download these even if you still have a diagnostic partiion, in
case something happens to the drive or to Compaq.
Compaq's page for software and drivers is:
 http://www.compaq.com/support/files/

The setup covers a large group of models, but I suspect you have a Deskpro
(5166 or something like that would be the model)

Mike Goins     jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx