[TechAssist] Zenith Z52Z95D 9-1674 no video, red crt blurry/smeared convergence issues

  • From: "Larry E" <videotech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:50:44 -0400

Hi Guys, This Z52Z95D has the 9-1674 sweep and 9-1690 converg boards, complaint
was no video has sound,
replaced the 9-1674 module, set came up fine, but video was not good, when the
weather channel, CNN, etc.
puts up letters there is a green haze around the letters, put up the customers
cross hatch and the red & blue
horizontal is missing (from top of screen to bottom) the green is there, all 3
colors are there vertically(left to right)
pulled R3243 behind the horiz. heatsink the 110K and R3244 the 82K as this is a
known failure for the horiz.
convergence bars missing, they are both good out of circuit, looked into the
lenses and the red video is smeared/
washed out looking, this does not show up on the screen?? sprayed R5102 with
freeze mist and red crt went blank,
sprayed same resistor on green crt board and green blanked out, I did not have
110K 1/2 watts with me so couldn`t
 change them, before I could go out there today and replace them the customer
called and said the set has
again failed with same problem, no video has sound, he shuts off set for 1/2
hour and set runs normally for 45 minutes
then loses video again. This is the third time in 1 month that I have had
similiar symptoms with the 1674/1690
combination of boards, convergence goes out, replace the 1690, set runs 24
hours and convergence fails again,
or no video/dead set, replace 1674 set runs for 1-2 days and repeats the
failure, if I replace both boards at the
same time I`m not getting the re-call, this is killing my bottom line with all
these freebie return calls, is anyone else
running into this scenario?? Ed at Tri-State Module says Sears will now only
change them as a pair, too many
recalls, any ideas? Sorry for the long post, I have 2 customers waiting on me
to "fix their set"  Larry E
Larry Eastman
American TV & Electronics
Crystal River, Fl. 34428