[TechAssist] Zenith C8 chassis FIXED

  • From: "John Mielke" <maintv2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:52:52 -0600

Zenith SM3589BT8 chassis C8 made in 1994.
The set came in with a bad IHVT and a shorted horiz output.  Replaced with
2SD2539 and an original zenith fly.  The set worked but would shutdown as
the brightness came up on the screen (not excessive brightness).  Thanks to
Gregory Smith who told me about a required modification whenever the fly is
replaced (change CRX3204 to 12volt zener from 9.1 volt).  The fly was
original zenith from Andrews Elect but in came in a plastic bag with no
instructions.  The cost of the zenith fly was $10.  Also thanks to Eric
Manual for the scan of the service manual.  Then I had a picture with no
pincushion correction.  To finish the repair I replaced QX3201 (shorted),
CX3208 (dead short), and CR3207 (shorted).   Thanks for all the help, John.
John Mielke
Main TV
636 Main St
Longmont, Co 80501