[TechAssist] Re: Zener diode test

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:12:33 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think they are causing problems either after checking for go or no go.
The meters both have relativly new batteries so would be surprised if that were
the cause, but it might be worth a try anyway. This whole thing came about
because this board is NLA per Andrews, where I buy most of my parts. Another
surprise for a 2 year old 32"Sony. However the unhappy customer  called Sony
and they told the customer that is was available under a new number,and further
that if they had called an asc he would have known that. Not sure how the asc
would have information that the parts house dosen't? So I decided I would
repair the board and that is where this all started. Going through the board
ran across these odd diodes. The tact switches on this board cost more than the
whole board ready to go.
                                                                 Paul
Jim Myers <jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Look up MTZJ-T-77- in NTE and you'll find a fair selection of various
zeners, the first few on the list, up to 10 volts require a test current
of 20ma and the rest require only 9.5ma or less. Maybe a new battery in
your meter WOULD make a difference. In any case if they are used as a
protection device on the A/V inputs and are not shorted they are
probably not causing any problems.

Since 1972 *
Jim Myers *
Telrad Electronics *