[TechAssist] Re: Vacuum tubes...

Walter and all,

That brings back memories.  As a kid, I would take tubes to the local
drug store for testing.  Early in my Navy career, I had two different
Chiefs bring in tubes from their television for me to test.  Both sets
were scapped.  The first Chief had no idea of a tube chart.  He just
plugged in the tubes wherever they would fit.  The second left the tubes
in a grocery bag in his car for some time.  Half of them broke.

There are still some folks who believe the tube amplifier superior to
semiconductors.  One's available at present are major $$.  I sent my
Hickock tube checker and many hundreds of tubes to the landfill 20 years
ago.

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 11:31:02 -0700 (PDT) walter wood
<wwood_38478@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> US OLD Timers, did not use, and still do not use
> such a shotgun approch to repair.
> Tubes were NOT all that undependable, and certainly
> didn't all wear out at the same time.
> It depended on the equipment, of course, but I've
> seen some last 40 years or more.
> If you have one that is not lit up, it may still be
> good.
> It may have simply lost it's filiment voltage.
> Why do you suspect the tubes??
> The real problem is more likely to be a missing
> voltage or a bad capacitor, just like today's
> stuff.
> Walter
>
> > > Hello Techs,
> > >
> > > A customer turned in a tape player,that don't
> > have audio out,remember the
> > reel-to-reel ones? I suspect it is the vacuum
> > tubes,so I decided to replace
> > all of them...all 8,didn't the old timers used to
> > do that,replace all them
> > tubes?
> > >
> > > Any good suppliers you know of?
> > >
> > > Thanks,