[TechAssist] Toshiba 30", FIXED, 1989 model CS3277C, TAC8755, low distorted intermittent volume.

  • From: Kevin <kevintv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TECH-ASSIST <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:22:42 -0800

This is an interesting repair, that I hope by posting it, will save
someone else many hours of grief.  This set had me going in circles.  I
discovered that the variable out audio jacks on the back had built-in
switches to turn off the internal AND external speakers when the RCA
patch cord was plugged in to go to a stereo.  I have never seen that
before.  The switches had started to fail intermittently, causing full
sound, or low and distorted sound in one or both speakers.  As soon as I
removed the jack/switch assembly, the switch measured a dead short like
it should.  When the set was manufactured the assembler used the pins of
the audio jack assembly to anchor it to the board, causing a strain on
the jack making the switches fail 15 years later.

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevintv@xxxxxxx