[TechAssist] Re: [TechAssist]AOL blocking domains....was.. Re:Reel to Reel movie...

  • From: "J.Knoll" <jhk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:07:36 -0400

Jim,
   What I have seen is a lot of AOL users have been with them from the
start and are afraid to try a new isp. AOL tells its users that they
offer things that they cannot get elsewhere. They give the impression
(to the user)that they are the number one isp and anything else is
inferior.  They need to realize that the Internet is the same Internet
they get with AOL minus the proprietary software and advertisements.
  Once they realize that there are really better internet solutions they
can break away from the spell that AOL seems to cast on its membership.
I can buy and use any email program that I want. But if I were with AOL
I would have to use theirs only. If  I  went on vacation and wanted to
connect to my isp I could do so with a simple username and password. If
I were with AOL I would need to get permission to install AOL software
on their computer.
 I realize that in some areas isps are limited and AOL  may be the only
solution but if you have other choices give them a shot and see that
there is Internet Life after AOL.
Jay Jay's TV Service