[TechAssist] Re: Subject: Noisey coils & Transformers

  • From: Daniel <danielstarca@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 19:02:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dennis:
 Since you asked :(
 I was 'taught' by an older Tv Tech to use a very long
slender screwdriver, and to use the handle against my
ear to locate the actual source of the 'whine'.As some
may know: I was also supposed use rtv sealant to
anchor various sources 'til I had eliminated the noise
altogether.This advise worked in 90% of all cases I
came across,however I had a Zenith portable that
whined so badly that I couldn't quite find the true
souce, and nothing seemed to work.I received a tip at
the time to use a can of lacquer spray and lightly
spray the entire chassis(remove from TV) and it worked
very well.The trick is to get a thorough coating(into
the tranformers and coils) and to use as little as
possible.
 Anyway I'm sure the manufacturer would frown on this
procedure, but it certainly works.

--- Dude1127@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Dennis
> If you can't hear it hook up a small mike to your
> scope to find it.,Les

=====
-Daniel
Crystal Electronics