[TechAssist] Re: Sony receiver Model# STR-AV770X

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 01:12:37 -0600

I suspect that the "broken print in the transformer circuit" would be my first
clue.  If the circuit board has broken and/or hairline cracks in the traces
around the power transformer, the relays will never get "energized".  Sounds
like the reciever is usually in an area not very well ventilated for the unit
breath (is my guess).  If you've already found one bad trace, you most likely
will find one or more others.  Depending on your patience with PCB repairs, it
can be an easy enough repair to do.  The cold solder joints, however, can be
a pain trying to find them/resoldering them all.

And, hopefully, the trace problem that you noticed does not have any burnt
residue on any part of it.  It if does, then you have either a bad short in the
PS area already or it was hit with a surge (lightning ???).

Did the customer give you any sort of a history as the unit was brought to
you (or beforehand)?  When was the last they recall it working and/or what
was it doing before it quit?

Good luck.

Chaz
chaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   or
chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx

From:                   "Junior E Hurdle" <jselectronics@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:                     <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:                [TechAssist] Sony receiver Model# STR-AV770X
Date sent:              Fri, 2 Nov 2001 01:47:48 -0400
Send reply to:          techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi techs,
> this receiver is displaying "PROTECTOR" when i apply power. I have found
> broken
> print on the transformer pcb, cold solder joints in the tuner circuit and I
> have
> also checked the outputs , but cant seem to figure out why the relays are not
> closing. I do not have a scametic for this set. Any ideas as to what the
> problem
> is? Thanks in advance. Junior.

> To unsubscribe write to:
> techassist-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx