[TechAssist] Re: Sony Vaio Laptop- LCD light problem

  • From: "Bruce Tiedeman" <btied@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:43:07 -0400

Yes you can replace the lamp. It is called a CCFL lamp.(cold cathode
fluorescent lamp). You can get the information and part at www.Digikey.com.
When Digikey comes up type CCFL Lamp in the search engine at the top of
browser. You can also get the inverter board at the same place. You will
have to measure the size of the old lamp. The lamp is on the top of the LCD
screen , you may have to take  the tape off the top, and split open the
screen , to get at it. Be very careful the small wires and socket on the end
of tube break easily. The problem might also be at the wire hook up on the
tube. It sounds like it could be the inverter, the fluorescent lamp is a
miniature unit similar to the larger ones as we know, and brightness is
controlled by the inverter. The tubes are inexpensive you could order one
and try.

Good luck,
Bruce.

B&T Electronics