[TechAssist] Sony Unusual Shutdown SOLVED!

  • From: "Bil Green" <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ".Techassist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:47:26 -0800

Well, I didn't think that there was such a thing as No Vert
Deflection with a fully lit screen.  This one really had me
stumped.  Thanks to Dennis I checked the vert output and
sure enough the chip was leaking that black stuff (what is
that?).

Thanks to Charlie for all those prints and the Sony error
codes that pointed to the 4 flashes this one was
displaying - Indicates No Vert.  Would have helped if Sony
tech support would have told me this ($3 per minute).

Don't have a TDA8172, but I am confident that will fix the
set.

Bil

Sony KV27S42
1999 model
Turns OFF as soon as screen lights up (then red LED blinks)

The screen lights up rainbow colored (no video or snow) with
the colors running up from the bottom (CRT tests o.k.)

Very bright, but no retrace lines
The CRT screen and cathodes voltages are normal
HV is o.k.
Focus Voltage is 8KV

Disconnecting both the HV lead and the CRT socket - No help
(still turns off and red LED keeps blinking)

I replaced the flyback as recommended by someone who had
similar problems with several Sony's, also the RGB output
chip - No help

Bil