[TechAssist] Re: Sony RA-2A KP-46C65 instantly blows IC601 & R608

  • From: "Larry E" <videotech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:16:11 -0400

Damon, thanks for the reply, got in the IC and resistor today, whatever is
shorting IC601 and opening R608 is worse off than before, installed new IC
& resistor and set did not start by itself, front led was on (not blinking)
12v standby was
there, started set with 117 on variac and R608 made a loud snap and fried it
& IC608.
Before I plugged in the set I pulled and checked on the cap tester
C602,603,604,605,606,607, 608,612,615,616,617,618,& 621,  checked for shorts
on Q654, 656, & 659.
Checked for shorts on T604 & 605, HOT is not shorted, main fuse does not
blow so it
doesn`t appear to be outside the power supply, checked from hot to cold
ground for short
none found, I can`t troubleshoot the dam thing because only the 12v supply
runs in standby and it blows up
with more than 97 volts applied through the variac, I would think as quickly
as it blows
that it would have an obvious short,  but I sure can`t find it, any ideas
appreciated., Larry E

 Larry Eastman
American TV & Electronics
Crystal River, Fl. 34428