[TechAssist] Re: Sony KP51WS510 projo wide screen, need purchase advice

  • From: "becyn" <becyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:11:15 -0500

Mitch,

While I agree that Sony is one the top TV manufacturers out there, the parts
availability is a different story these days.

We have had NLA parts on sets as young as 5yrs . As long as it retails for
less than $700, the unit is not subject to the federal 7 year parts
availability law. However, that didn't stop Sony from obsolete-ing
projection TV parts either.

I think they play the averages on parts availabilty. If the model sold well,
the parts will be there for a at least 7 years. On the less successful
models, the parts seem to be dropped as soon as the original supply is
depleted.

I guess they figure that it's cheaper to settle with a customer than to
waste manufacturing time on parts they may not need.

Jim McVey
McVey Alltronix
327 Broadway
Newburgh Ny 12550