From: "Edward Gaidies" <teltek2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TechAssist] Re: Sony Jungle]
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:16:31 -0500

I tend to agree with Gary on this.
LSI IC's will normally be made by one manufacturer, due to R/D and set-up.
Too much work goes into producing Large Scale Integration IC's, for someone
to go out randomly and start producing these IC's at cut rates. As for
Toshiba upc's, the TMP47C IC's are made by Toshiba, they make so many 1000
of the first run production, keeping the price artificially inflated till
they have recovered their cost of R/D. Then they may or may not sell the
template to other manufacturers. Hence you seldom see a Toshiba Micro
reproduced by ECG or NTE. I would presume that Sony would follow this same
procedure with their CXA's.

-Ed-