[TechAssist] RCA, MD#G35831AT, Chassis CTC179CM

  • From: "Premium Technologies" <premtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:37:46 -0700

Hi Guys,
I have a gremlin here that appears to be in the eprom/micro circuit problem.
Set originally came in dead.  Turned-out bad FB and HOT.
Now set comes on with a beautiful pic and audio.  Voltages are nearly
textbook.  However, the volume controls and power button on the TV panel are
inop. I can access menu by pressing the menu button and upon exiting menu TV
shuts down.  Press menu again and it comes back on.  And no I didn't service
this one drunk or mis-wire it for a prank.  Although it would be a good one!
There is no original remote with this set either and I've tried programming
an RCA universal but the set simply won't recognize a remote other than
flashing pwr light on some command sequences.
I assumed I was dealing with a corrupted eprom or micro.  The micro is/was
the later version ending 97I, so I could have replaced the eprom separately
but instead ordered and replaced both with no change.  I've ESR'd the caps,
re-checked my work in that circuit and tested just about everything I can
think of except replacing the crystal.  Oh, one more thing, I installed an 8
pin footing to simply plug-in the new eprom.  It's in correctly and I've
swapped the new for old since the first install with no change.  So at least
I know it wasn't because I simply damaged the eprom.  The micro already was
on a factory footing so it was just a plug and go.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Bill

William Rayburn, CET
Premium Technologies