[TechAssist] Re: RCA, G27304DT, CTC177AM2, Tuner problem UPDATE

  • From: "Intrepid Video Support" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:18:01 -0400

Daryl,
All I can recommend is remove all the solder from the grounds. Get yourself a
head-visor magnifier and
look carefully at the tuner area.
As many of these as I have done, I still can find a way to make a solder joint
or lift a trace.
If all looks OK, resolder.
Now, moving those coils around was not a wise choice.
Good luck.

Jeff
--
Intrepid Video TV/VCR Repair
263 S Front St, Steelton PA 17113
From: daryls_tv@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:42:56 -0600
To: TechAssist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TechAssist] RCA, G27304DT, CTC177AM2, Tuner problem

> Hi,
> This RCA, model # G27304DT, ch. CTC177AM2, is really kicking my behind.
> It started with the complaint from the customer of losing some channels with
> lines in the picture.  I
pulled it into the shop and did the usual tuner re-soldering job.  Set looked
great and was delivered only
to find out it was doing the same thing.  Took it back to the shop where it
worked great.  I re-soldered
everything again plus all of the connections on the smds.  Delivered it again
and you guessed it...same
thing.
> The channels from 40 through 50 were either missing or full of lines or motor
> boating.  I played with
some of the tuner parameters and it seemed to work but not to my satisfaction.
The customer was pleased,
so I left.  A week later, same thing.
> I pulled it back to the shop where it worked fine.  BTW... the customer has
> another set that works fine
on the same cable line.  I put an attenuator on my cable line and the trouble
showed up and even worse.
It gave me channels 2-6, 18-22, and 40-50 with the problems.  I re-soldered
every smd in the video section
besides the tuner again and all of the grounds in the set... no help.  Looked
with a high power magnifier
for cracks in the print (none found).  Replaced IC7301, C7414(cracked),
CR7102(didn't check the same as
the others), Q7102(RF amp), U3201(eeprom), & U1001(t-chip).  Did the tuner
alignments after each parts
change but still no joy.  I found that if I would place my finger over coils
L7114 & L7112, the set would
start to function properly.  I got the same effect placing my finger over
L7115, L7113 & L7111.  I didn't
have to touch the coils, just put my finger near the coils.  This symptom
reminds me of the old tube days
when the grid neutralizer trimmer cap was