[TechAssist] Re: RCA F35755MB CTC179DK need INFO on micro kit

Here's da poop: (The kit you need, 229782, is superseded by 229778)

Symptom: A failure of an I2C bus device will prevent the TV from turning
on. If a device has failed, its address
is supposed to be stored in an error code area of the EEPROM, and
displayed when the service
mode is entered. On some early production sets, the error codes will not
be stored.
Cause: An error in the microprocessor code prevents the set from coming
on in the service mode to
display the error code. A bit in the EEPROM is set to prevent the
microprocessor from checking for
the error code.
Cure: Replace both the microprocessor and EEPROM. For the CTC178 and
CTC179 chassis, the
microprocessor with the error is marked -97H or before. The
microprocessor with the corrected code
is marked -97I or later. For the CTC188 and CTC189 chassis, the
microprocessor with the error is
marked -98C or before and the microprocessor with the corrected code is
marked -98D or later. Both
the microprocessor and EEPROM must be replaced. The microprocessor and
EEPROM come
packaged together as a kit. Refer to the following table for the chassis
to kit stock number cross
reference.
CTC178J, L 229782
CTC179BJ, CJ, DJ 229780
CTC179CK, CM, DK, DL 229782
CTC188A 230055
CTC189DA, DB 230055
NOTE: To prevent having to align the chassis after replacing the EEPROM,
record the values stored in the
original part and use those values for the new part. If this is not
done, the complete chassis and
tuner alignments must be performed.

Since 1972
Jim Myers