[TechAssist] Question reguarding Panasonic VCRs

I now have about 4 Panasonic vcrs which all have what appears to be bad
video heads when you play.  All of these vcrs are 1-4 years old and
different model numbers.  I don't have a video head tester to check the
heads yet, (have not had a big need for one). I am wondering if others
have seen a high failure rate with Panasonic video heads? Or is there
something else I'm missing? Is there an easy method of determining if a
video head is defective, without the tester?  Needless to say I have
cleaned and cleaned the heads to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Wally Heise
South Isle Repair