[TechAssist] Re: Question about computer

  • From: "TechAssist Admin." <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:11:40 -0600

Well, that narrows it down about a thousand motherboards!
<laughs>  You need the model # of the board to get the
drivers for it.  Did you try what I suggested?  (removing the
device then changing the bios a few times like I said then
restarting?)
Model # of the board would be on it somewhere, just have to
look good.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 209-882-9602
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxx
pchardware@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)

From: TechAssist Admin. <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: TechAssist <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 8:02 AM

>Yes, it can.  In short, this is how (in the BIOS) the choice
>is made if one wants to boot from the CDROM drive.  Also on
>the first BIOS menu entry (1st on most, 2nd on a few) CDROM
>drives as well as other optical or laser devices (LS120,
etc)
>show up there.
>
>Tom, you still do not mention the motherboard brand or
model.
>If this is an Intel chipset board, you usually do not need
>any drivers for it (as far as the IRQ routing, IDE
>controllers, Bus mastering, etc. goes).  If it is a non
Intel
>chipset board (SiS, VIA, ALi, etc), you usually do need
>drivers for these mentioned above.  If you have removed the
>yellow marked devices from the DM and restarted and windows
>still puts yellow marks there, you either need drivers or
>it's an IRQ problem.  The yellow marks will either be a ? or
>an !.  I forget which, but one is a driver problem and the
>other is a resource (IRQ) conflict.
>
>To find out which, highlight the device(s) with the yellow
>mark then look at the properties and it will state there
what
>the problem is.  Then you go from there.  If it states a
>driver, then you know what to do.  If it states a resource
>conflict, there are 3 things you can do.  One, go into the
>BIOS under the "PnP settings" (for Award) and what ever the
>entry "PnP OS..........yes/no" is set to, change it to the
>other, then restart.  Change this back and forth from yes
and
>no a few times and restart.  This will in many cases fix the
>conflict.  If this does not, another way is you have to
>uncheck the box 'automatically detect settings' at this
prior
>area mentioned above in the DM (device manager) in one of
the
>tabbed areas.  Sometimes this area is grayed out and you
>cannot uncheck or check this box, or sometimes it is absent
>all together.  This means of course you cannot change the
IRQ
>setting from within windows.  if you are able to change it,
>most of time when you attempt to pick a number from 1-15, it
>will tell you if that # is available or not.  Remember most
>IRQ's can be shared, and some cannot be shared.  For
>instance, most mice are IRQ 3, most video cards are IRQ 11
>(on my PC, 11 is also my DSL modem).  To see a list of IRQ
>assignments, go to 'system information' and expand 'hardware
>resources'.  Then you can click the appropriate areas at the
>left margin for IRQ info, (shared, conflicts, settings,
>forced, etc).
>
>If you are not able to set an IRQ from within windows, then
>there is the 3rd way.  Go in the BIOS under the PnP area
>and put the 'resources controlled by' to 'manual' if it is
>set to 'auto', or auto if it is manual.  If you set it to
>auto, it will assign IRQ's.  If you set it to manual, you'll
>just have to pick what's available by trial and error until
>you find one that works.  You can free up IRQ's there,
>then they will be available in windows, so windows then
>can theoretically reassign IRQ's and get rid of the yellow
>marks (of course only if the yellow mark is an IRQ
conflict).