[TechAssist] Re: Philips Model 8P6034C101/chassis PTV805-AH01

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:27:52 -0500

Important:  Unlike many previous PTV systems, the 770-790 series PTV
incorporates a Digital Convergence Panel. This panel does not contain the
familiar three rows of adjustment potentiometers as employed in the past PTV
systems.  Instead geometry and screen convergence settings are contained
within EEPROM located on the Digital Convergence Panel. These settings may
be easily modified through the following procedures.

Notes on Digital Convergence:

1. W hen aligning the digital convergence, the adjustments are very
interactive in that a change in one quadrant will potentially effect other
areas of the screen; thus, requiring several alignment passes through the
convergence sequences.
2. A  convergence panel severely out of convergence will not necessarily
have perfect icon shapes.  Its not uncommon to see bent or twisted icon's .
3. In some instances to initiate icon movement with one of the arrow
functions on the remote transmitter, it may require the technician to hold
the desired button for several moments to see movement. This is normal. If
movement doesn't occur, continue alignment sequence in other areas of the
screen (use icon positioning keys 2,4,6,8), then return to the problem area
of the screen. The technician may need to save present settings then exit to
the convergence menu, then return to the problem area of the screen.
4. Remember the adjustment points are highly interactive with each other.  A
change in one quadrant of the screen could effect other areas.

5. When converging be sure your at eye level with the area of the screen you
are adjusting.
6. When converging a PTV, it is not required to follow the pre-defined
sequence of adjustment points. When converging or adjusting the green
geometry of a set that is severely out of convergence, begin at the outer
regions (edges) of the set, working in a circular pattern towards the
middle. Only move the icon a short distance towards the target point, then
continue circling the outer perimeter moving each sector partially.

Digital Convergence Alignment of the Chassis consists of any one or a
combination of the following procedures described below.

 A. The first procedure "Convergence Touch Up" allows for minor convergence
adjustment of any color.  With "Convergence Touch Up" it's assumed that one
or two of the colors are geometrically correct and used as reference for the
color/s requiring alignment.  This alignment is required for minor
convergence adjustments, single yoke or CRT replacements and any physical
alteration of a single Lens/CRT Assembly.
B. The second procedure  "Mechanical Alignment" is required with Major
Convergence and Geometry Alignments, Yoke replacement, Convergence Module
Replacement and the replacement of a CRT or physical alteration of the
Lens/CRT Assembly.
C. The third procedure "Major Convergence/Geometry Alignment" is required
when a Convergence Module or all three CRT's are replaced.  This procedure
is also required if the Green Geometry requires adjustment.  Note: If the
Screen Geometry of the Red or Blue gun is correct, use the "Convergence
Touch Up" procedure to converge the green using the Red or Blue as a
reference.

Note: The set should be warmed up for at least 20 minutes prior to making
any Convergence or Geometry adjustments.

CONVERGENCE SERVICE MODE PROCEDURES
Note: This procedure is required for all of the following geometry and
convergence adjustments.
Using the remote transmitter, enter the following seven-button sequence to
activate the convergence mode.
 06 - 25 - 97 - Menu (M)
The "Opening Menu" will appear offering choices:

Channel  3
Use Channel     éê to
Select a Channel with Video
Remote control key functions:
 éêçè: Adjust Convergence
 M: Advance "cross" location
 Up, Down, Left, Right
 3: Exit Convergence
 M: Begin Convergence

Note: video information must be present to correctly adjust the convergence.
A  signal source is required to lock the vertical and horizontal sync.
After entering the "convergence service mode"  verify  the presence of a
video source by confirming the presence of active audio (use   the volume up
function on the remote).  Use the channel up and down function on the remote
to select the desired tuning source.

Select item "M" from the first menu, the "Convergence Menu" will appear
featuring 5 possible selections.

Channel 3
 Convergence:

1. green geometry
2. red To green Convergence
3. blue To green Convergence
4. green To red Convergence
5. green To blue Convergence

CONVERGENCE TOUCH UP PROCEDURE

1. Enter the "convergence service mode" as described above in the
"convergence service mode procedure".
2. Select the desired color requiring adjustment.  Note: Do not select Green
Geometry (1).  This procedure is described under "Major Convergence/Geometry
Alignment.  If Green Geometry is altered during this procedure a "Major
Convergence/Geometry Alignment" maybe required.
3. Cover the Output Lens of the single color presently NOT being adjusted.
Example: If you select Green to Red Convergence (4) cover the Blue Output
Lens.
4. The highlighted adjustment Icon (Cross) should be illuminated on the
middle left side of the screen.  Make the necessary Convergence Adjustments
using the following Remote Keys:

· Use the Arrow Up (  ) to adjust the selected color up.

· Use the Arrow Down Key (  ) to adjust the selected color down.

· Use the Arrow Right Key (-) to adjust the selected color to the right.

· Use the Arrow Left Key (+) to adjust the selected color to the left.

5. Move to the next location to be converged. It is not required that the
full Convergence Sequence be followed while performing the "Convergence
Touch Up Alignment Procedure".  The following alternate Remote Keys allow
for positioning of the Icon to the desired adjustment location:

· Key 2 on the Remote Transmitter will position the Adjustment Icon upward
on the screen.

· Key 8 on the Remote Transmitter will position the Adjustment Icon downward
on the screen.

· Key 4 on the Remote Transmitter will move the Adjustment Icon to the Left.

· Key 6 on the Remote Transmitter will move the Adjustment Icon to the
Right.

6. Return to the "Convergence Service Menu" by selecting Key number 3 on the
remote transmitter or by sequencing the Icon to the last adjustment point at
the lower right corner of the screen and pushing the Menu (M) Key on the
Remote Transmitter..

7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for other required Convergence Alignments.
8. To Save the Adjustment completed in the last procedure, Exit/Save the
Convergence Service Mode by selecting Key 1 on the Remote Transmitter.  This
forces the corrections to be written to the EEPROM on the Convergence
Module.

Note:  To save the convergence corrections made above you must exit the
convergence menu by selecting Exit/Save Data (1)

CONVERGENCE CENTER FREQUENCY ADJUSTMENT

Note: This adjustment should not be done unless a component on the PLL
circuit has been replaced

1. Connect a volt meter from TP3 on the convergence board to cold ground
(use top shield).
2. Adjust L3 to obtain 1.5Vdc.

MAJOR CONVERGENCE/GEOMETRY ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE

Major Convergence/Geometry alignment procedures are required when replacing
the Digital Convergence Module or all three CRT's require replacement.

Note: The following procedure must be followed in the order listed to insure
satisfactory results.  Use the following order to converge a set requiring
"Major Convergence/Geometry Alignment":

1. CRT Centering using the Centering Tabs around the Yoke.
2. Align the Convergence by first setting the Green Geometry using the
"Convergence Template" and following up with the Red and Blue Convergence
Alignment.

The part number for ordering the Screen Template Kit is: ST4130. This kit
contains all the templates for all screen sizes required for the PTV770
through PTV788 series. For individual screen templates, add the screen size
to the kit number. Example: ST4130-46 is the individual part number for the
46'' Screen Template.

To order parts call the TOLL FREE Philips Sales Center number:
 (In U.S.A.) 1-800-851-8885
(In Canada) 1-800-363-PART  1-800-663-7178 (Fax)

CRT SCREEN CENTERING (Mechanical)

1. Locate the Screen Center by placing strings diagonally across the viewing
area of the screen from corner to corner.  The Screen Template, if centered
correctly on the screen, can also provide the center point location.
2. Enter the "Service Setup Mode" (06-25-96-Menu-Menu) and confirm
approximate register values of the following registers:  Note: Confirming
the following register values is not required if the Small Signal or Large
Signal Boards have not been replaced or altered.

Function Register Value
Picture Height 37 48
V Linearity 38 0F
V S Correction 39 0E
Vertical Shift 40 00
V Comp 41 00
Picture Width 42 20
East/West Parabola 43 10
East/West Corner 44 0E
Trapezium 45 39
Horz Comp 46 00
V SS Corr 47 00
Horiz Phase 48 11
3. Connect a Signal Source (pattern generator) to the antenna terminal of
the set. A signal source must be present while following these procedures.
4. Enter the Convergence Service Mode as described above in the Convergence
Service Mode Procedure.
5. Place a jumper wire from pins 1 to 2 of test point 4 (tp4) on the
convergence panel.
6. Select "1" Green Geometry from the Convergence Service Mode Menu. Cover
the Red and Blue output lens using a 7" X 7" piece of cardboard.
7. The highlighted icon (cross) maybe visible on the left side of the screen
about half way up. Position the icon at the screens approximate center by
pressing the M on the remote transmitter 3 times.
8. Using the Centering tabs of the yoke, position the highlighted Green icon
to the screen center as defined by the diagonal strings positioned across
the viewing area of the screen or using the center point on the screen
template.  Note: In some cases there may be insufficient range with the
centering tabs to position the Green icon to the screens center. In this
case position the icon as close as possible to the screen center.

9. Confirm the centering by viewing the screen from the front of the unit.
10. Return to the Convergence Service Mode Menu by selecting number 3 on the
remote transmitter. Select number "2" on the remote to activate the "Red to
Green" Convergence.  Cover the Green and Blue output lenses with a 7" X 7"
piece of cardboard.  Repeat step 7 through 9 using the Red yoke Centering
Tabs.
11. Return to the Convergence Service Mode Menu by selecting "3" on the
remote transmitter.  Select "2" to repeat convergence.  Select "3" on the
remote to activate the "Blue to Green Convergence".  Cover the Red and Green
output lenses with a 7" X 7" piece of cardboard.  Repeat step 7 through 9
using the Blue yoke Centering Tabs.
12. Exit the convergence mode by selecting the Status Exit function on the
remote transmitter. Remove the 7" X 7" pieces of cardboard from the output
Lenses.  CRT centering is complete.
13. Remove the jumper from TP4 on the Digital Convergence Module.

GREEN GEOMETRY

The Green Geometry must be accurately adjusted to achieve proper convergence
and screen geometry.  The Red and Blue displays will individually be made to
conform to the Green.

1. Confirm the CRT Centering as described in the previous procedure.
2. Remove the protective screen enhancement filter (if present) to make the
following adjustments.
3. Attach the "Screen Template" to the screen using a low tac tape.
4. Enter the Convergence Service Mode by selecting 06-25-97-Menu with the
Remote Transmitter.  Note: Video information must be present to correctly
adjust the convergence.  This can be checked by the presence of audio on the
channel selected. Select M to begin the convergence adjustments.
5. Select "1" Green Geometry. The Green icon should be positioned near the
left edge of the screen and on the middle row of the template If not visible
hold the right arrow key of the Remote Transmitter until the icon is visible
on the screen.  Use the M key to position the icon on the next horizontal
point in the convergence sequence. Move the Green icon using the Remote
Transmitter arrow buttons Only Half Way towards the next template point.
Continue through the whole Green Geometry Sequence moving the Green icons
Only Half Way towards the target point on the template.  Upon reaching the
End Here point on the template press the M to recalculate.
6. Select Repeat Convergence by selecting the number "2" on the Remote
Transmitter. Select Green Geometry number 1 on the Remote Transmitter.
Follow the Green Geometry Sequence through a second pass, this time
accurately aligning the Green icon to the alignment points on the template.
Repeat the Green Geometry Sequence as required.  When completed Exit/Save
the changes by entering the converging page and selecting 1.

7. Confirm the accuracy of the Green Geometry.

RED AND BLUE CONVERGENCE

1. Remove the Screen Template.
2. Enter the Convergence Service Mode by selecting 06-25-97-Menu with the
Remote Transmitter.  Note: Video information must be present to correctly
adjust the convergence.  This can be checked by the presence of audio on the
channel selected. Select M to begin the convergence adjustments.
3. Enter the "Red to Green Convergence" by selecting the number "2" on the
Selection page with the Remote Transmitter.
4. Cover the Blue Output Lens with a 7" X 7" piece of cardboard.
5. The Red icon should be positioned near the left side of the screen and on
the middle row of convergence points.  If the Red icon is not visible hold
the right arrow key of the Remote Transmitter until the icon is visible on
the screen. Use the M key to position the icon on the screen at the next
point in the convergence sequence. Use the arrow keys to position the Red
icon approximately Half Way Towards The Green Icon.  Continue through the
whole Red to Green convergence sequence by moving the Red icons Only Half
Way towards the green icons.  Upon reaching the last position at the lower
right of the screen, select M to recalculate.
6. Select Repeat Convergence by selecting the number "2" on the Remote
Transmitter. Select "Red to Green Convergence number 2 on the remote
transmitter.  Follow the Red to Green Convergence Sequence through a second
pass, this time accurately aligning the Red Icon to the Green. Repeat Red to
Green Convergence Sequence as required to accurately align the Red to Green
Convergence. When completed Exit/Save the changes by selecting 1 from the
Convergence Menu.

7. Enter the Convergence Service Mode by selecting 06-25-97-Menu with the
Remote Transmitter.  Note: Video information must be present to correctly
adjust the convergence.  This can be checked by the presence of audio on the
channel selected. Select M to begin the convergence adjustments.
8. Enter the "Blue to Green Convergence" by selecting the number "3" on the
Selection page with the Remote Transmitter.
9. Remove the 7" X 7" piece of cardboard from the Blue Output Lens and cover
the Red Lens.
10. Repeat the procedure in steps 5 and 6 by adjusting the Blue icons to the
Green.
11. When convergence alignment is complete, save the data by selecting "1"
from the convergence service menu.

12. Remove the 7" X 7" piece of cardboard from the Blue Output Lens.

Refine the complete performance of the Convergence as described in the
"Convergence
Procedure".

HORIZONTAL PHASE

1. Enter the Service Setup Mode (06-25-96-Menu).
2. Select register number 02 (Brightness) and note the present hex value.
Increase the value to 7C..
3. Select Register number 42 (Horizontal Width) and note the present hex
value. Reduce the Horizontal Width by approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
4. Tune the set to an active off air or cable channel.
 Note: It is recommended that a signal source other than a generator be used
to do this alignment.  Use an RF signal source such as a broadcast channel.
5. Select register 48 (Horizontal Phase).
6. Using a 7" X 7" piece of cardboard cover the Red and Blue CRT Output
Lenses.
7. Adjust the Horizontal Phase to center the picture information onto the
reduced raster.  This centering can easily be accomplished by observing the
left and right edge of the reduced raster.
8. Select register 42 and set the value as previously noted in step 3 of
this procedure.

9. Select register number 02 (Brightness) and set the hex value as
previously noted in step 2 of this procedure.
10. Remove the 7" X 7" pieces of cardboard.
11. Typical default value is 11.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager