[TechAssist] Re: Orion TV2520A: pulled in on sides

  • From: Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:41:08 -0400

OK, I found some info in my saved emails. Hope some it it helps.

Gary

That 113v seems low to me. Emerson/Orions are real good at using
STR30110
(110v Regulators) and biasing them to put out 128V. Something to do with
the
Base Circuit configuration. If it uses this type of Linear Regulator,
check
the resistors around it, especially the 47ohm one.
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:39:22 EST
From: Lo1297@xxxxxxx
Subject: Sansui TV Model TVM1315A, repaired

Hello to all,

I thank all of you that responded to the turn off problem of the Sansui
TV
model TVM1315A, especially thanks to Joe @joetech, Ronnie @IEPlayer,
Tommy @tabnix and Richard @rickstv.

This is the Sansui tv that would turn off (via x-ray diode D402) uppon
turn
on.
I found that by reducing the line voltage the set would stay on. By
turning
up the ac voltage, causing the B+ and HV to increase the set would go
off at
a B+ of 128vdc (pin-4 or TP501 should be 137vdc), and as HV would reach
28kv
(should be 26kv) .

Since the B+ regulator was  a STR30110 many thought the regulated
voltage at
IC501-4 should be 110vdc and therefore the regulator must be defective.
However in this application with Orion tv sets using STR30110 the output
regulated voltage should be and is 137vdc.

In this case capacitor  C443, .0047@xxxxxx, located in the collector of
H.O.T.
Q401 would change with current flow and affect the output waveform.
Replacing
C443 corrected the turn off problem.

The proper voltage at IC501 and the H.V. output is as follows:

H.V. output is:    26kv

Regulator IC501 with line voltage set at 115vac :
1= Ground            4= 137vdc (TP501)
2= 134vdc             5=  6.5vdc
3= 180vdc

Hope this will help someone in the futher.
Have a nice day, God bless.
Herb from Farmington Hills, Mi.

I've seen posts about that problem before, where a 110 V reg is supposed
to have more voltage than 110V on the output. If I remember corectly
there are some other resistors or diodes in the regulator circuit need
to be changed. I will search my saved messages and post them if I find
any info. Check to see if the ground pin on the regulator actually goes
directly to ground or perhaps through a bias resistor before ground.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4