[TechAssist] OLD GE radio, Model L-915W

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:17:59 -0500

Friends,

My mother-in-law had this old radio, at least 50 years old.  It stands
about 40" high.  I always admired that radio.  I fixed it about 10 years
ago, and asked that she run in for at least once a week for an hour or
so.  Should have saved my breath!

Mom died recently, so the radio is mine.  It is a real treasure.  I want
to do some restoration, but want to keep things as original as possible.
The pushbutton switches and all controls are noisy, but I'm sure they can
be cleaned up.

The main electrolytic needs replaced.  It's a three-section can, 15@400,
15@400, and 10@300.  Does someone have one still in good shape?  Also, I
would appreciate a service manual and (really stretching now) and owner's
manual for it.

I gave away my tube tester and all my tubes 15 years ago.  I know I can
still get them if necessary.  The power cord is starting to crack, so I
will replace it when I find one that is close in appearance.  I have no
plans of selling this, but am curious as to what something like this
would sell for.  To me it is a priceless heirloom.  I want to restore it
to original condition, but don't want to do anything to detract from its
value.  The cabinet is beautiful, but some a bit rough from age and the
gas heat vent that was nearby.  I understand that any refinishing is a
no-no.

Any hints are welcomed.

Regards,

Ken Smith