[TechAssist] Re: Need help for HP Computer

  • From: "Lawrence Tucker II" <kc4iai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:45:43 +0000

///  I am not the family computer expert, my son is. (US Army) The message
to close programs could mean two things. The ram (your memory chips) do not
have enough storage to run all the programs you have running and when that
happens the computer swaps into and out of the hard drive. Speed of physical
disc and write head versus the speed of memory chips, causes problem thus
the warning to close programs.

Something as simple as over heating can cause memory and CPU errors. Once
this happens the files can be corrupted and reloading is necessary.
Depending on the age of you computer, smoking employees, and airborn dust,
the memory, CPU, cards, and heat transfer equipment, fan and heat sink,
should be cleaned regularly. Look at the blades on the fan and the fins on
the heat sink for inslulating dirt film.

If you use a computer on the internet you should have a minimum of two
partitions or two hard drives. If it becomes necessary to reload the OS (set
up disc with HP) you can format the OS partition wiping out any virus then
reload clean OS. This would not effect your data located in the second
partition. (Programs would have to be reinstalled.)

As a security measure I have two removable hard drives, one OS and one data.
I can swap the data drive into any family computer without any other
changes.

Increase speed-- Scan disc only scans partitions/drives that have moved
files since the last scan/boot. If you have one large drive scan disc must
scan the whole disc rather than one third (my partition size) of it.

There is a repair feature for IE built in, according to IE web site. If you
do not fix your problem quickly email me and I will look up the address for
you.

Sorry if I insulted the intelligence of computer geeks with this email. As
others have said it could be a virus.