[TechAssist] Re: Need Some input on becoming a RCA ASC.

  • From: "Jerome Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:32:37 -0400

RCA was great on technology. But we had problems with their warranty system.
They sold through distributors and gave each distributor an exclusive
territory. We had to file our warranty claims with the distributor whose
territory we were in, and buy the warranty parts from that distributor. We
were in the territory of Southern Radio of Charlotte NC. The distributor was
required to maintain a service department and offer T/A. They had a lot of
stuff that they could not fix and they had us do it for them. They didnt
always pay us. They assigned special warranties to us. They didnt always pay
us. They were supposed to reimburse us for warranty parts. They didnt always
pay us. We bugged them every few months and they always said to send copies
of the invoices again, and again, and again. I still have a manilla folder
of their unpaid invoices, about 4 inches thick. When GE bought RCA, Southern
Radio built a huge new warehouse, expecting to add the GE product line. But
GE decided to dump the distributors and sell direct to the dealers. Southern
Radio went bankrupt.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave Greenville SC 29609