[TechAssist] Re: NTE Parts

  • From: "Peter oliver" <oliver_peter1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:41:29 +0000

I generally prefer orginal # parts if possible, generally I keep a few
numbers that will sub in most cases ie 2sd1399,2sd1879,2sd1880 for dampered
HOT and a few sony types for non damper appls. I like to keep
the manuals for orginal specs and look up my own cross based on PRV, Ic, and
switching time. (I do keep an NTE manual for lookups and emergencies; rember
most NTE parts are custom labeled or relabled parts so there is an extra
amount of handleing )
      But, that is getting long winded to check your FBT there may be
several ways; Inspect for cracked case or arks, pull the tranfromer and ring
the coil (Sencore had a specialized piece of equipmnet for doing the test
but it is pretty pricy, some earlier equipment will do it to depending on
what you have, it could be done with a frequency generator and ocillisocpe
too but that is a lot of work to set up). Depending on the set bad
connections on the driver transformer,fbt,etc, also if a 1 uf cap is used in
the timing for the horz stage off the driver transformer they can reduce in
value upping the frequency and over working the Transistor or the FBT. Also
occasionaly a part elseware can minic a shorted transistor,( RCA's diode
from the regulator, Hitachi Blue caps across transistor, Panasonic some can
be the cascade diode in the SMPS ...) Of couse there is always the cross
your fingers and hope it works, but stand back as the FBT can sometimes
throw pieces if shorted in the right area.

Peter Oliver
Tucson Radio TV
  since 1946
Tucson, AZ