[TechAssist] Movie/Video editing

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:37:45 -0400

I've had good luck editing movies from my digital camcorder with Moviemaker,
because it will operate the functions of the camera which will allow me to
move one frame at a time to get to the exact frame where I want to begin,
but it changes MPEGs that are stored on my computer to it's own format when
editing them. Not the original MPEG, it leaves that as is, but the edited
version is in Moviemaker's format which has lousy resolution compared to
MPEG2.

I edited a ten minute piece out of a 2 hour TV show recording a couple weeks
ago and it looked so bad I wouldn't even use it. It looked as bad as, or
worse than, those samples from a cheap porn site. There's a reason why they
usually show up in a one inch square viewer, and I don't want my edited
MPEG2s to look like that.

I'm searching for a program that will allow me to work an MPEG frame by
frame, backward and forward, just like with my old SONY VCRs, to cut it
where I want it, and then save it in the same (MPEG2) format.

When I tried to find a straight forward digital photo editor, I bought quite
a few programs and finally deemed it a waste of money, buying programs to
see if they would do what I wanted. So I finally gave up when I couldn't
afford to waste any more money. When I went to work at TyCom, we had a
perfect little program on all the workstations that allowed you to paste
from the clipboard, select a part of any picture you had showing, copy it
and paste it as a new picture, still in the original format --JPG, GIF or
whatever, it also had graphics capabilities. It could also be used to change
the format. The name was PhotoEd.

I was able to copy the program and bring it home but it is not fully
functional because I can't install it properly. It came from MS but they
would not answer me when I contacted them to ask how I could purchase a
copy. More recently I did find it was no longer supported and they say to
buy Picture It as a replacement. Picture It is not simple and straight
forward, takes forever to load, won't do the same things, and wants to save
your edited pictures in it's own format. Although, if you watch it, you CAN
make it save to another format, something you CAN'T do with Moviemaker. Oh,
and it cost me $100.

I'm hoping I won't end up the same way, spending tons of money trying
unsuccessfully, to find a suitable video editing program.

I figure if we get together and make a list of possible programs, then we
each buy one of them. Whoever gets the good one can tell the rest of us.
That way none of us will have to buy multiple programs, only two. Except for
the guy who gets the good one first, he only had to buy one.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH