[TechAssist] Re: Magnavox model FP5230W104 -Ch # PTV620-AH01 Blows Hot

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:45:38 -0400

Symptom: PTV610 through PTV620 repeat shorting of Q906 and opening of R934.
Q906 is the High Voltage output transistor and R934 is in series with Q906
(both on the Signal/Deflection module).
CAUSE: In several cases, the cause has been a shorted blue CRT. Often the
faceplate of the CRT is cracked at one of the
mounting ears, which drastically reduces the vacuum inside the CRT leading
to HV short.
SOLUTION: Check for a cracked blue CRT if Q906 is found shorted on the
Signal/Deflection module before replacing Q906 or installing a new
Signal/Deflection module.
Replace the CRT if it is cracked. Remember to replace R934 if Q906 is
shorted.
Note: Fluid leaked onto the Combo block can also cause Q906 to short.  Also,
if the second anode lead hole in the anode cap of any of the 3 CRT's is not
filled with RTV, the high voltage can arc out of the unsealed hole and blow
Q906.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager