[TechAssist] Re: MY VCR PARTS ARE NOT FEELING THE LOVE!

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:07:40 -0400

I haven't done any full length 2 hour tape transfers yet so I can't give
you a solid answer, although you should be able to get at least 2 hours
of good quality video and stereo audio on a standard 4.7 GB DVD
recorable disc, especially since VHS resolution is less than MPEG 2
quality to begin with. Even if you have to compress the video to fit the
DVD, you shouldn't notice any degradation in quality from the VHS SP
mode to watching it on the DVD R copy.

Even when copying DVD's that are dual layer onto a DVD R that is only
single layer, you can usually compress the video and end up with just as
good or better quality than VHS SP mode (while removing un-needed data
such as extra scenes, foreign language tracks, etc.).

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984