[TechAssist] Re: MAG: 25X6 chassis Quick Question?

  • From: Dennis Viereck <wa6ati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:21:41 -0800

No need to blow up any parts. Use a 40 watt light bulb in series with the B+ to
the flyback. Connect your oscilloscope to the collector of the horizontal output
transistor. Set the scope to resolve a 600 volt PP signal at 10 micro seconds
per division. Power up the set an look for a clean undistorted pulse with a duty
cycle of 11.7 microseconds "OFF" time and a "ON" time of 51.7 microseconds.

Any extra ringing or distortion means you have a heavy load on the secondary or
an internal shorted winding.

The light bulb saves components, and buys time to measure the "Must Haves" in
that circuit. Sometimes only 2 or 3 seconds is necessary to make this
measurement.  Most of the time after a short test like this and it is a flyback,
one can feel the heat generated in the flyback by the bad winding or diode
stack.

Dennis Viereck