[TechAssist] Re: JPEG Files

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:27:56 -0500

Barry, if you are referring to the prints I sent you, I scan them in at
300 dpi which gives excellent quality of print. Then I compress the JPG
by about 70% to get the file size down to acceptable levels. The program
I use to do all this is Corel Photopaint. The picture fits on an 8.5 x
11 inch sheet at this point. Unfortunately when it is sent over the
internet, somehow the picture gets converted to 72 dpi (probably your
email program does it) and therefore you may see the picture as being
huge. (the file does not lose any data so the 300 dpi being forced down
to 72 dpi will blow the picture up really big). If you have Photopaint
or Adobe Photoshop or similar program, just check the file for amount of
dpi (dots per inch), and if it reads 72 dpi, convert it back to 300 dpi
and it should fit an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

I would send pictures in PDF format, but for some reason I have never
been able to get a PDF to have a small file size by the time I'm done
with it. My JPG compression always makes for a much smaller file size.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984