[TechAssist] Re: Ivan / flood-water soaked electronics

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:34:02 -0400

First, since all was already soaked and muddy, take a garden hose and
wash out the stuff. Let it air/sun dry thoroughly. You can place them in
front of a strong fan overnight, or few days. When dry, get several
quart size pump sprayers filled with common isopropol rubbing alcohol.
Set nozzle to stream. With a 2" paint brush, and the set on it's side so
the run off goes down, spray the chassis while whisking with the brush,
dislodging the debris. Either do this outside, or on a thick towell. Use
in good ventilation and  away from sparks. Alocohol fumes will make you
dizzy, and it's flammable.Again, air dry thoroughly, in the sun. Metal
chassis hot to the touch.Remember, the liquid tends to stay longer under
flybacks, large IC's, etc.You can also use an air compressor to assist
in removing the cleaning liquid.Take care the delicate plastic faces
don't get too hot and warp.If you need, after, you can spot clean with
the more costly "tuner wash" arosols.
I use a similar method doing smoke restoration with all the internal
soot. With smoke, there's a bit more to it.
Good luck.
Phil
Survivor of three hurricanes!

Electronics wrote:

>my home and part of my business were destroyed by a flood caused by hurricane
>Ivan, I live next to the Cullasaja river in Franklin NC, it is near the Peeks
>Creek community, several people lost there lives and many homes were destroyed
>as was mine. I had lots of home theater / PC's and TV's in my garage and
>living space there(some of it new)...we had three feet of water/mud inside...I
>am trying to dry out and hopefully salvage as much as possible, I need some
>kind of circuit board cleaner that is cheap that I can buy maybe a case to
>start with. any tips or help greatly appreciated.I had no insurance and looks
>like Fema doesn't help much.
>-Tony
>Anthony Moseley
>Electronics Inc.
>7027 Hwy. 441
>Dillard, GA 30537
>electronics@xxxxxxxxx

>Lost Password:
>Email Archives:

Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)
3420 Recker Hwy. Winter Haven, Fl. 33880
Fax (863) 299-8821
email: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx