[TechAssist] Re: Hypothetical: When NTSC goes,will we haveonestandard ?

  • From: "Christopher Barnak" <cbarnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:54:28 -0400

This is probably caused by the fact that there just isn't very much
HDTV material broadcasted. The HD channel you tuned is was nothing
but NTSC converted to digital. That's what local stations have to do
on
their HD channels when the original content is not HD from the start.
True HDTV looks fantastic !!

Christopher Barnak, CET
Norfolk Public Schools
Electronics Maintenance
966 Bellmore Ave.
Norfolk, Va. 23504

Phone 757 628 3385
Fax    757 628 3392
cbarnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> daryls_tv@xxxxxxx 6/23/2005 2:21:13 PM >>>
Perhaps it is the locale.
Last month I had a RCA 53" HD in for a HV splitter.  I figured it was a
goo=
d time=20
to try some comparisons.  I also had a 35" Sony direct view in for
repairs.=
  The=20
cable company here doesn't broadcast in HD.  We do have off air HD
signals.=
  Since=20
the RCA had dual RF inputs, I tuned to the same station to have a good
refe=
rence to judge by.  The cable signal showed a good picture (not perfect
but=
 quite good).=20=20
I set the other antenna input to air and tuned the HD program in. All I
had=
 to do=20
was switch antenna inputs for the comparison.  The HD picture was not
any b=
etter.=20=20
In fact, it was worse. The sound was scratchy, the picture would
occasional=
ly pixelate
and it would even go to a blue screen stating "weak signal".  The off
air s=
tation is
in line of site that one could see the broadcasting tower.  The Sony
blew t=
he HD set away.  It had a gorgeous knock out picture both on cable and
air.=
  This signal comparison holds typical of all of the HD sets I have had
in =
the shop.
Sorry... I'm not convinced that HD is better.  Ten times better?  No
way!
Daryl
Daryl's TV
2402 Wyoming Ave.