[TechAssist] Re: Home-based business insurance

  • From: "markbrock" <markbrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:44:12 -0600

I have not been following the thread much on this topic but here's my two
cents,  I had a couple rental properties along with my electronics business,
insurance of 2 million on my electronics shop which was a requirement by
Sears and several other mgs's and ext warranty,  ( now its dropped to
500,000)   one of my rental's caught fire, there was no servitors, cause was
production of methemphetamines,  parents of the kids sued me for 10.5
million,  two years ago we're still in court and they said they would settle
within the limits of the policy,   ( less than 2 mil.) any more would be on
me but gave me a dead line,  my insurance co says its up to me.  but there
not covering any more lawyer fee's, of course I should settle so not to
loose any of my assets but they will drop me as soon as the settlement is
made.  I personally don't think they stand a chance to win ( we requested a
jury trial)  but,  food for thought,  most insurance policy's will offer you
a " duty to defend" clause,  be sure to take this no matter what,  that
means that if you get in a law suit your insurance ( no matter what its
for ) will supply you a lawyer and cover his/her expenses,  ( basically they
have a lawyer on retainer all the time and for a couple bucks a month you
can use them in a suit )  glad I had it,  not sure how its going to turn out
but so far I've  lost $25,000, and the house itself, and the future income,
all my savings and the amount that was in my checking account at the time of
the suit is frozen, 6500.00,  my lawyer says if I go ahead and fight it I
have to pay the $125.00 per hour,  so there goes that money as well.
there's a judge and two lawyers in my family they said I'd more than likely
win,  but a judge will only award you as a winner,  you'll have to figure
out your own way to collect what you've lost,  and the parents don't appear
to have anything, so I'm up that famous creek,  something to look into,  if
you don't have " duty to defend"  I'd certainly look into it.
Merry Christmas
Brock Electronics
R.R.4 box 237
5208  cr.3385