[TechAssist] Re: G.E.DVD PLAYER MODEL GE1100P NO DISC

  • From: "Michel Cusson" <cm2k00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:41:48 -0500

One thing I didn't see in your letter was if the laser was emitting: on a
DVD unit, it should be fairly visible...and BTW do not look directly in the
lens, if you don't want to burn your retina...

  Usually a optical system should give an "focus ok" signal when locked in:
the pickup should stop at a point in it's travel, then the routine continues
with disc spin and timing lock. A test is to rotate back and forth the disc
before the unit says "no disc". If you hear some scratching noise (the coils
staying tracked on the groove), your lens is in focus. If so, then the drive
for the motor, a heatsinked flatpack usually, or the motor itself is
faulty.Check with scope for square wave pulses on the motor lines....Expect
the changing of the whole Pickup mecanism if it is the culprit: usually sold
as a whole.........

   I could also add the turntable height but these are usually frozen on the
shaft and rarely go wrong...

    But try a cleaning of the lens before......

      Cm2k