[TechAssist] Re: Fw: computer technique for non Gurus

  • From: jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 01:41:52 -0400

  I am going to ad just one more thing. I tried this today before I decided
to comment. I used my older version of ghost to backup to a CD-RW, but
there is a catch (at least one). I have multiple hard drives in my system,
and I can select which one is bootable in the BIOS. You can back up the
drive you did not boot from. Most of us have a "small" 200 Meg or so drive
(paperweight) laying around which seems too small to be useful. If your
bios supports booting from the "D" drive, you can put a minimal Win95
system on one of these (always go into the program directory and delete the
online services directory on these borderline systems). Install the Burner
software on it and boot it instead of the drive you wish to archive. I am
iffy about doing this with a CD-r because of the timing concerns, but a
rewritable seems to do ok ( they are only about 600 meg each with their
overhead, and are slower than a CD-R). Just remember to have what you need
initialized before starting.
This is cumbersome, but does seem to work. I have not tried to restore the
image I created, so I will limit my language to "seem".
Restoration will also have to be done under Windows unless you can find a
UDEF reader for DOS ( I have not ).

Mike Goins     jmgoins.tn@xxxxxxxxxxx