[TechAssist] Re: Fw: RCA CTC 187 menu disappears,volume works

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:09:22 -0400

Al, I did a check in my saved messages, and the one I had was a
CTC197AK2. Here is what I had to say at the time:

After I wrote the original message today, I had an idea. If I would
install the new eeprom in the TV and then go to the menu and disable the
front panel buttons, then save the eeprom file, I should be able to
compare the factory set eeprom file with the menu-adjusted eeprom file.
Yes, it showed that the only bytes in the eeprom that changed were
various ones from address 0000 to 000F (the first row of 16 bytes). I
then copied the factory set bytes from the above mentioned addresses to
the customer's original data file. Programmed the eeprom and tried it.
Didn't solve the problem. Then I noticed that some of the bytes in row
two (addresses 0010 to 001F) of the customers file didn't match up with
the factory set eeprom file. The last four bytes of the customer's file
looked suspicious (addresses 001C, 001D, 001E, and 001F). They were:  FF
FF FF FF. I copied the data from the factory set eeprom file (data was
08 00 09 00) and reprogrammed the eeprom again. Installed it and the
problem was now cured. The menu button on the front of the TV now works.
I tested disabling it and re-enabling it in the menu and it works fine.
I have connected my cable modulator to the set and I get clear sharp
pictures all the way up to channel 79 which is the highest my modulator
will tune. I haven't noticed any other functions not operating properly.

Gary

My first reply:

Al, I had one like that and it was a corrupted byte in the eeprom.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984