[TechAssist] Re: Friends Gateway 500 essential,won't load win98

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ron Miller" <rlmbkm@xxxxxxxx>, techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 20:47:41 -0500

I am guessing that you get the error message during boot from DOS before
actually getting to Windows.  As you mentioned, the "splash screen" makes
me think of this.

If your system is running scandisk from DOS - usually because of an error in
the SHUT DOWN process and/or update of the Registry during shut down -
you might see this error.  There are ways around this problem, without having
to reformat your drive.  The best suggestion I saw so far, and one of first I
try
when ScanDisk fails, is Norton Disk Doctor.  Another is to try to work around
DOS' scandisk.  Either go directly to Safe Mode Windows and then try
scandisk from with in Windows and/or take a look at the following link:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q150/5/16.asp?LN=EN-
US&SD=gn&FR=1&qry=hang%20on%20start&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_g
n_SRCH&SPR=W98

Another possiblity is that your drive is FAT 32 formatted.  DOS does not like
FAT 32 drives.  Again, NDD would be a better option to this.

Chaz

From:                   "Ron Miller" <rlmbkm@xxxxxxxx>
To:                     <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:                [TechAssist] Friends Gateway 500 essential,won't load
win98
Date sent:              Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:07:17 -0500
Send reply to:          techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Turn on get Win98 splash screen then scandisk comes on and tries to run but
> get
> C.
> This error prevents scandisk from fixing this drive.
>  Given this info is the C drive blown or can I make further test .
> Ron Miller
> D.T.V. Texas

> To unsubscribe write to:
> techassist-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx